Moving Out: How Does Insurance Work?

Moving Out: How Does Insurance Work?

Are you moving or is your child heading off to school? Either way, it’s important to know how your homeowner’s insurance covers you and your family when moving. Here we break it down for you so that you can make a better-informed decision.

Coverage When Moving To A New Home

In most cases, your home insurance policy will cover your new home and old home for approximately 30 days. However, you still need to notify your insurer that you are moving out and provide them with any new information regarding your move. This should include any changes to your current situation – a couple moving in together, a divorce, adding new belongings to your policy, etc. The insurance company will review your new situation and make any changes as required.

DIY Moves

Before you move yourself, you should check with your insurance company to see if you have the right coverage in place in the event of a road accident, broken items, or injury on your property. Regarding the rental truck, you can either take out insurance from the rental company or see if you can add extra coverage to your auto insurance. If you’re planning to have friends or family help, you should also check that your home or rental insurance policy covers injuries and broken or damaged items.

Hiring A Moving Company

Even if your homeowner’s insurance plan covers damage on your property, it may not cover damage while in transit or if items are lost or stolen during the move. Plus, not all moving companies include insurance in their price and some only offer basic liability based on the weight of your belongings. So if you have damage that goes above this, you could have to pay out of pocket. Before hiring any moving company, it’s wise to ask for a copy of the policy and send it to your insurance broker so they can ensure that you and your belongings are adequately protected through their policy, as well as through your home insurance policy.

Students Moving Out

If your child is leaving home to attend school, your home insurance policy might protect their belongings but only up to a maximum dollar amount. But it’s important to note that not all insurance policies will cover your child if they are moving out permanently or studying part-time. If your policy does not fully cover your child, it’s wise to get them additional renters’ insurance. This will provide them liability coverage as well as personal property coverage in the case of fire, theft, and vandalism. Depending on your child’s location and unique needs, it’s best to talk to an insurance broker who can find the right protection for them.

No two policies are ever the same. That’s why it’s important to discuss your insurance needs with a certified broker. Unlike agents, brokers don’t work for any specific insurance company. They are unbiased professionals who can help match the right insurance coverage to your exact needs and budget. To learn more and to talk to a registered insurance broker today, contact us at Rowat Insurance.


Insuring Ontario and Quebec since 1955. Trust Rowat Insurance Brokers to look after your home, auto, business and life insurance needs. We always guarantee fast, friendly service and highly competitive premiums. As brokers, we are entirely independent from Insurers and Financial Institutions; we will work with you to analyze and advise on risk, and customize the coverage that is right for you.