Skip to main content
  1. Home
  2. Blog
  3. 4 Types of Insurance You Should Have This Winter
Winter Safety

4 Types of Insurance You Should Have This Winter

4 Types of Insurance You Should Have This Winter

While winter is one of the most beautiful and enjoyable times of the year, the season also carries with it some risks that can be prepared for with the proper insurance. Aside from the risks of winter storms, there are all sorts of unwelcome troubles that can arise when the temperature drops: roads and walkways can ice over, snow can build on the roof, and pipes can freeze. Below we’ll list a few coverage options we recommend you get to keep your family safe and secure.

Comprehensive and Collision Insurance

These two coverages are a necessity in the winter. These coverages differ from liability insurance in that they protect your car from any property damage. This means that in the event that your car slides on ice and collides into a tree or another car, you’re covered. You’ll also be covered in the event that your car is damaged by large hail or a falling tree branch.

Cottage Insurance

If you own a family cottage, you should definitely make sure to have the proper insurance for it this winter. By having cottage insurance, the costs are covered in the event that a winter storm occurs, if your home is damaged from animals trying to move in or if the property collapses due to a heavy snow load. Without this coverage, you could have to pay for these unexpected costs out of your own pocket.

Commercial General Liability Insurance

If you work from home or have a brick and mortar operation, it’s wise to get protection in the event that someone injures themselves on your property. A simple slip and fall on an icy walkway or even indoors on a slippery surface can leave you with an unwanted lawsuit to deal with. Even if you regularly shovel the snow and salt the walkways, it’s still wise to carry commercial general liability insurance to be prepared in case you’re found liable for an injury or property damage to a third party.

Recreational Vehicle Insurance

If you’re a snowmobiling enthusiast, you should consider adding this to your car insurance policy or getting recreational vehicle insurance. This coverage will protect you in the event of property damage or accidental harm caused to others when out on your snowmobile. It will also cover damage to your snowmobile if you get in an accident and cover any loss or damages caused by theft, fire, and vandalism.

Make the most of your winter while avoiding the risks by getting a full range of insurance products. Contact us at Rowat Insurance, and we’ll advise you on getting the best policies together for your needs so you have adequate protection all year round.

Rowat Insurance

Insuring Ontario and Quebec since 1955. Trust Rowat Insurance Brokers to look after your home, auto, business and life insurance needs. We always guarantee fast, friendly service and highly competitive premiums. As brokers, we are entirely independent from Insurers and Financial Institutions; we will work with you to analyze and advise on risk, and customize the coverage that is right for you.